Hello my friends!
I hope this week is treating you well! I just booked a trip to Kruger in June for my birthday so I wanted to share how I choose my accommodation and what I look for in a hotel, lodge or guesthouse.
I usually Google “Accommodation near Kruger Park” or “Kruger Park accommodation” and a few sites pop up that list a whole bunch of the different places in the area. A few of these sites in South Africa are www.safarinow.com, www.booking.com and www.roomsforafrica.com I’m a big fan of SafariNow and have done all of my recent Kruger bookings through them including my one for June.
Reviews and Photos
- I always research the places I like the look of. I check out their photos on a few different sites to make sure the place looks the same and I check any reviews on Tripadvisor as well as photos that guests post themselves as this shows the true state of the place.
- I take most of the negative reviews with a pinch of salt as I find some people expect way too much from certain places.
- If a place has more negative reviews than positives it definitely changes my mind.
- About 90% of the time I cannot stay at a place if it does not have white bed linen.I can handle bed linen that is light in colour and has a slight pattern but I’ve seen some frightening duvet covers from accommodation photos and even if the place is really nice, the linen puts me off immediately.
- If the place doesn’t look clean in photos, I guarantee it’ll be even dirtier in person.
- In summer I always look for a place with aircon and a pool as the temperatures reach the low to mid 30’s in South Africa and a lot of houses or rooms really hold the heat.
- I like a place that has a clean and comfy looking sitting area which I can retire to at night to catch up on some tv or read a book.
- The building needs to look well kept and inviting from the outside.
- A safe area
- A place near interesting attractions and restaurants
- Depending on where I am, somewhere I can see the stars
- Somewhere beautiful
I hope this helps you when it comes to booking your next stay whether in South Africa or any other part of the world! Where are you heading for your next holiday? Tell me in the comments!